The Church The Parish Church of St Edmund is a fine, Grade 1 listed building to the north of the village that dates possibly from the 12th but certainly from the 14th century; the earliest incumbent being recorded in 1349. In 1643 the iconoclast William Dowsing removed 40 pictures, gave the order to level the chancel, and took down the cross from the steeple. The impressive south door was constructed by Thos. Elliston in 1766. In the 19th Century the church was largely restored and rebuilt. The interior features include several memorials to members of the Gurdon family who for many centuries owned nearby Assington Hall, sadly almost completely destroyed by fire in 1957, and a huge and magnificent monument to the family stands in the churchyard.
The Assington Co-operative Society This project, set up and financed initially by Sir John Gurdon, is of some interest since it was one of the first examples of a scheme, albeit a private one, whereby farm labourers were able to work together to their mutual benefit at a time when wages were extremely low after the Napoleonic Wars. Although certainly enlightened self-interest was involved on the part of Sir John, the benefits to members and their families were considerable and the scheme was so popular that a further co-operative was set up in 1852. By 1918 both had ceased to be. Society Farm, now Willow Tree Farm, still exists.
The Barn at Assington The Barn is a retail complex that includes a Farm Shop, licensed Tea Room,‘Little Gems Interiors' selling home accessories, gifts and furniture, a Plant Centre and ‘The Holistic Retreat' offering health and beauty treatments. ‘And Sow to Grow', also within the Barn complex, is a small local charity that helps young people with special needs by teaching them gardening skills.
Assington Mill At various periods in its history referred to as Mill Farm, the Mill is situated at the southern end of the village in its own attractive small valley and is well worth a visit. The waterwheel has been restored and the whole site has undergone extensive restoration over the last 10 years. Several public footpaths run through the farm (including the newly created one to Spouse's Grove) so people can look at the wheel at all times of the year. Numerous and varied short courses on mainly rural skills and crafts are offered here throughout the year. Contact details are as follows:
The Pub The Shoulder of Mutton pub, in the centre of the village, is very popular for live music at weekends and Sunday lunches are renowned for their excellence.
The Case Restaurant with Rooms is an award-winning restaurant in Further Street, on the A134.