Assington is a small friendly village off the A134, 5 miles southeast of Sudbury, 9 miles from Colchester, 15 miles from Ipswich and 15 miles from Bury St Edmunds. If you are planning to walk its footpaths and are arriving by car please drive carefully through the village, where parking is usually available in the Village Hall car park or at The Barn. There is also some parking space at the church for its visitors. Food and drink is available at the Shoulder of Mutton public house in The Street during opening hours and at The Barn, where there is a farm shop and tearoom.
There is a footpath map available at the shop, Church, The Mill, the pub and the Village Hall and a larger version of this is on display on the notice board in the Village Hall car park. Assington welcomes all walkers and visitors but would remind you of the COUNTRYSIDE CODE:
Respect other people
- Consider the local community and other people enjoying the outdoors
- Leave gates and property as you find them and follow paths unless wider access is available
Protect the natural environment
- Leave no trace of your visit and take your litter home
- Keep dogs under effective control
Enjoy the outdoors
- Plan ahead and be prepared
- Follow advice and local signs.